A global iPad network speed test
CNET used its global reach to test the iPad on several networks worldwide. They fired up the Speedtest.net app and measured download speeds on Verizon Wireless's 4G LTE network in San Francisco, Vodafone's 3G network in London, M1's HSPA+ network in Singapore and Telstra's HSPA+ network in Sydney.
The results show that Verizon in San Francisco took top spot with a blazing fast download speed of 28.47 Mbps. Telstra in Sydney was second with 16.08 Mbps, while Singapore's M1 (3.13 Mbps) and London's Vodafone (0.64 Mbps) came in third and fourth, respectively. Though Verizon was #1 in download speed, it lost to Telstra in a YouTube video playback test that measures real-world performance instead of raw network speed.
You can watch the video on CNET's website.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options