Watch out, Apple -- that Samsung in your mirror may be closer than you think
The iPhone 4S is currently the king of the hill when it comes to smartphone sales in the U.S., but Samsung is coming on strong as the second place manufacturer for U.S. mobile carriers according to Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley.
AppleInsider posted the analyst's report that showed that the Samsung Galaxy S II has been the second most popular smartphone at AT&T and Sprint for the past four months, trailing the extremely popular iPhone 4S. The Galaxy S II is also the most popular smartphone at T-Mobile, which does not carry the iPhone.
At Verizon, the iPhone 4S tops sales, with the Motorola RAZR/RAZR Maxx coming in as the second-best seller. AppleInsider quoted Walkley as saying that Apple and Samsung "continued to consolidate with sales rebounding after a slow start to 2012."
Apple shouldn't have too much to worry about: Walkley stated that "In fact, we believe iPhones are outselling all other smartphones combined at Sprint and AT&T and selling at roughly equal volume to all Android smartphones at Verizon."
All of Walkley's information is based on sales estimates, and we should get a much better view of actual numbers -- especially for Apple -- later this month.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved
- Twitter updates its OS X client