EA: emerging ad trends in social games
Advertising is poised to take a bigger role in mobile gaming now that Electronic Arts has signed a multimillion dollar, year-long advertising campaign with Unilever, says a report in AllThingsD. Unilever is a multinational consumer goods company that owns such brands as Dove, Ben & Jerry's, Lipton and more.
EA is using its popular Facebook game, The Sims Social, as a vector to introduce advertising for Unilever products like Dove. When players enter the bathroom, they will be able to shower with Dove shampoo. During the summer, their refrigerators can be stocked with Magnum Mini ice cream bars. These branded virtual goods are enticing to players because they are often offered for free.
This advertising deal isn't limited to Facebook. It's a cross-platform agreement that could push branded virtual goods into The Sims line of games on iOS devices and consoles like the Xbox 360.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)