3D may not be a novelty forever
Does Apple have some nifty 3D technology coming your way soon? Maybe. Apple has posted a job listing for an iOS Software engineer with 3D skills.
The person Apple is looking for is a "Computer Vision specialist to strengthen its multi-view stereo research group. As a member of this team you should have a genuine interest in technology and be a skilled developer with knowledge and experience in Computer Vision, Image Analysis and 3D geometry."
It's a bit hard to tell from the posting exactly what Apple intends to do with 3D technology. It could be an elaborate augmented reality app, something that uses the processing power of an iOS device, combined with the camera.
Other hints are that Apple is looking for someone with skills in multi-view stereo and 3D reconstruction, as well as mesh texturing techniques. Those skills don't sound like Apple is looking to play Avatar on your iOS screen. On the other hand, Apple has lots of skunk-works projects going on all the time, and this could turn out to be something really interesting, or something that winds up in a file cabinet never to see the light of day.
[via 9to5 Mac]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update