Samsung claims Apple is infringing on eight patents in California documents
Executives from Samsung and Apple may be sitting down to discuss patents and infringement, but the legal battle between the two companies is far from over. According to a report from FOSS Patents, Samsung accused Apple of infringing on eight patents in a California lawsuit filed last Wednesday. Rather than target only mobile devices in this suit, Samsung took out the big guns and is aiming at iPhones, iPads, Mac computers, Apple TV, iCloud and iTunes.
This suit may be difficult for Samsung to win as two of the patents are FRAND patents which are essential to technology standards and must be licensed under fair and reasonable terms. Five patents, including the two FRAND patents, are from Samsung and three were acquired from Hitachi. Samsung has filed several lawsuits against Apple globally and has yet to win a judgment against the Cupertino company.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app