Financial Times to discontinue iPad, iPhone apps, move to HTML5
The Financial Times has announced that it is killing its iPad and iPhone apps. That doesn't mean that iOS users are going to be left out in the cold in terms of getting the latest financial news; it just means that the company is completing the move from an app-based edition to an HTML5 web app.
The FT pulled its iOS app from the iTunes Store last year, but subscribers who had it installed could still use the app to grab and view content. The Financial Times is now going to make the app unusable, forcing the few remaining users to move to the HTML5 edition.
It was reported that the user base for the web app actually overtook that of the iOS app within three months of being launched. The mobile site provides 12 percent of all new Financial Times subscriptions and contributes to 19 percent of all the FT.com web traffic.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration