Examining an iTunes Store account hack
This report, like many others, leaves us wondering how the hack occurred. Is it a flaw in iTunes that's giving hackers access to accounts, does the user have an insecure password or did the user fall for a phishing scheme that somehow exposed their password?
The good news in the ZDNet report is that PayPal already reversed the charges for five of the seven fraudulent transactions. This incident should be a warning for iTunes users -- you still need to guard your iTunes account password closely and you should choose a payment method that lets you easily reverse an unauthorized charge.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs