Foxconn to build new plant for iPhone screens with Sharp's help
Sharp and Hon Hai Precision, parent company of Foxconn, are partnering to improve the LCD manufacturing process for the iPhone. A report by Reuters points to Nikkei business daily report that says Sharp is helping Foxconn outfit a new Chengdu plant with the latest LCD manufacturing technology. Foxconn will use Sharp's know-how to improve its iPhone display manufacturing process. In return, Hon Hai, parent company of Foxconn, will buy an 11 percent stake in Sharp that's worth 66.9 billion yen (US$844 million as of this writing).
This agreement follows an earlier deal that gave Hon Hai a 46.48 percent stake in a Sharp's most advanced LCD display plant in Sakai, Western Japan.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs