Dear Aunt TUAW: Can I switch to Virgin Mobile on my iPhone 4?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Will my AT&T iPhone 4 work on Virgin's no contract plans announced today?
Your loving nephew,
Unfortunately, it would appear not. Virgin is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) for Sprint. Virgin uses Sprint's network infrastructure to provide service, which means you'd need a compliant CDMA iPhone instead of your AT&T GSM iPhone.
CDMA and GSM are two distinct technologies for providing 3G cellular service, with CDMA being popular primarily in North America.
If you want to go with Virgin Mobile, you'll have to purchase a new handset. Today's announcement suggests that prices for those will start at US$549.
Thanks everyone who helped out Auntie on this question.
Dear Aunt TUAW, Will my AT&T iPhone 4 work on Virgin's no contract plans announced today? Your loving nephew, Dan Dear...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update