No Comment: Senator Grassley, your office is calling
The US Senate: home of democracy, bastion of civility, redoubt of Brylcreem, sciatica and combovers. If you were trying to recruit a less tech-savvy group of Americans, it would be pretty challenging.
The late Alaska senator Ted Stevens set the bar with his legendary reference to the Internet as a "series of tubes" (it's not a truck, people), but despite the chamber's current home page headline of Technology and the Senate, the everyday missteps around gadgets and geekdom continue.
The latest example, via BuzzFeed: in the video below, Senator Chuck Grassley's podium time gets interrupted by a very distinctive ringtone. Yes, Chuck has an iPhone; yes, it's still set on the classic "Up Yours, Gustav Mahler" Marimba tone; yes, he forgot to turn it off before stepping onto the Senate floor.
Captured for posterity by C-SPAN, this ring ding earns today's No Comment.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app