NYC may let iPhones hail taxis
Soon, New Yorkers may be puling out their smartphones instead of waving their hands when they need to hail a cab. According to an ABC News report, the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) of NYC is looking for developers to help bring access to its taxi fleet to mobile phones.
The Commission put out a call for developers who can implement a system that would let customers schedule a cab and pay for the ride using their smartphone. One such solution, Taxi Magic, is being used in 45 US cities to schedule over 30,000 taxicabs.
Other companies like Hailo, which has a cab solution up and running in London, have set up shop in NYC and are hoping to break into what potentially could be a very lucrative market.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Plex updated for iOS 7
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle