New Apple nav app uses TomTom as primary provider
Our sister site, Engadget, is reporting that the new navigation app from Apple will use TomTom maps as a primary, but not the only source of street map data.
We were sitting around wondering how people like Garmin, Navigon and others would feel about Apple providing turn-by-turn for free on iOS devices, and now we know that at least TomTom is in on the deal.
Specifically, on the new nav app copyright page, it gives 2006-2012 ownership to TomTom and "others."
TomTom started offering a navigation application for iOS back in 2009, and major competitors have offered full featured and excellent performing alternatives. Apple likely feels pressure from Android, which has provided a free navigation application from the start.
Our sister site, Engadget, is reporting that the new navigation app from Apple will use TomTom maps as a primary, but not the only...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Evernote introduces reminders to Mac, iOS apps
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements