New Apple nav app uses TomTom as primary provider
Our sister site, Engadget, is reporting that the new navigation app from Apple will use TomTom maps as a primary, but not the only source of street map data.
We were sitting around wondering how people like Garmin, Navigon and others would feel about Apple providing turn-by-turn for free on iOS devices, and now we know that at least TomTom is in on the deal.
Specifically, on the new nav app copyright page, it gives 2006-2012 ownership to TomTom and "others."
TomTom started offering a navigation application for iOS back in 2009, and major competitors have offered full featured and excellent performing alternatives. Apple likely feels pressure from Android, which has provided a free navigation application from the start.
Our sister site, Engadget, is reporting that the new navigation app from Apple will use TomTom maps as a primary, but not the only...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free