HTC can't use Google patents to challenge Apple
Last year, HTC obtained eight patents from Google and used them in its legal fight with Apple. Now, an ITC judge has thrown out five of the patents saying that "HTC failed to acquire all substantial rights in the relevant patents," says a report by FOSS Patents.
Administrative Law Judge Thomas Pender made the decision last Friday and it was made public on Monday. HTC can appeal the decision, but it likely won't win an appeal unless Google joins as an additional complainant. It's a setback for HTC in its legal battle with Apple and an embarrassment to Google, which transferred the patents not only late in the game, but improperly as well.
Last year, HTC obtained eight patents from Google and used them in its legal fight with Apple. Now, an ITC judge has thrown out five...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free