HTC can't use Google patents to challenge Apple
Last year, HTC obtained eight patents from Google and used them in its legal fight with Apple. Now, an ITC judge has thrown out five of the patents saying that "HTC failed to acquire all substantial rights in the relevant patents," says a report by FOSS Patents.
Administrative Law Judge Thomas Pender made the decision last Friday and it was made public on Monday. HTC can appeal the decision, but it likely won't win an appeal unless Google joins as an additional complainant. It's a setback for HTC in its legal battle with Apple and an embarrassment to Google, which transferred the patents not only late in the game, but improperly as well.
Last year, HTC obtained eight patents from Google and used them in its legal fight with Apple. Now, an ITC judge has thrown out five...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox updates to support PDF annotations and better integration with iWork
- IFTTT adds a location channel to its iOS App
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 gets upgraded map, more 'cool' stuff
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents