HTC can't use Google patents to challenge Apple
Last year, HTC obtained eight patents from Google and used them in its legal fight with Apple. Now, an ITC judge has thrown out five of the patents saying that "HTC failed to acquire all substantial rights in the relevant patents," says a report by FOSS Patents.
Administrative Law Judge Thomas Pender made the decision last Friday and it was made public on Monday. HTC can appeal the decision, but it likely won't win an appeal unless Google joins as an additional complainant. It's a setback for HTC in its legal battle with Apple and an embarrassment to Google, which transferred the patents not only late in the game, but improperly as well.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter