Waze and others contribute some map data to Apple Maps, too
Earlier this week, TomTom confirmed it is providing Apple with some map data for its new Maps app. Now, TechCrunch discovered that Waze, Getchee, Localeze, Urban Mapping, DMTI, and MapData Sciences is contributing as well. This juicy tidbit was discovered in a legal notice that lists all the companies which contribute to the Maps app.
This is good news for Waze fans, who were afraid Apple was killing the service with its own crowd-sourced map data. Now, it appears Apple is giving the service a boost (and likely some money) by tapping into the company's vast information on traffic, road conditions and more.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration