Waze and others contribute some map data to Apple Maps, too
Earlier this week, TomTom confirmed it is providing Apple with some map data for its new Maps app. Now, TechCrunch discovered that Waze, Getchee, Localeze, Urban Mapping, DMTI, and MapData Sciences is contributing as well. This juicy tidbit was discovered in a legal notice that lists all the companies which contribute to the Maps app.
This is good news for Waze fans, who were afraid Apple was killing the service with its own crowd-sourced map data. Now, it appears Apple is giving the service a boost (and likely some money) by tapping into the company's vast information on traffic, road conditions and more.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs