Time, Inc. will sell its magazines on Apple's Newsstand
Laura Lang, CEO of Time, Inc. and Eddy Cue, Apple's VP for Internet software and service, confirmed to The New York Times that Time Inc.'s magazine lineup is coming to the iPhone and iPad.
All of Time's magazines including People, Sports Illustrated, InStyle and Entertainment Weekly will be available soon in Apple's Newsstand app container. Up until now, the standalone Time Inc. apps have not enabled subscription purchases in-app.
Unlike Condé Nast and Hearst, which adopted Apple's subscription service last year, Time, Inc. has been reluctant to agree to the restrictions Apple imposed on companies that sold magazine subscriptions through its App Store.
At the crux of this complaint is customer data, which was held by Apple and not shared with magazine publishers. Apple has eased those restrictions and now gives users the option to share their information to the publisher.
Apple's newsstand debuted in October 2011 with iOS 5 and currently sells more than 5,000 magazines and newspapers.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature