Avengers Blu Ray release getting companion iOS app
The Avengers, after rocking movie theaters around the country, is headed to a Blu Ray release. Marvel Studios is trying something interesting with the presentation: The company will be releasing an iOS app designed to be used along with the movie itself. The Avengers Initiative: A Marvel Second Screen App will feature new information on the movie, its characters and production crew, and even interactive comics and other video content designed to work with the film itself. The app will be updated with new content every other week at first, and then weekly leading up to the release itself.
"Second screen" viewing is a growing trend in mobile tablets. It doesn't sound like this app will specifically interact with the movie while you're watching it, but it's definitely meant to be used while watching, and there are technologies around and on the way to make that type of multiple-interaction viewing happen.
The Avengers broke all kinds of records at the box office, and that makes it an ideal candidate to tie in to a relatively new tech trend like this. The Blu Ray disc should be out on September 25, with the app coming sometime this month.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features