MobileMe closed, grab your stuff now
It's official -- Apple shuttered the virtual doors of MobileMe as of yesterday. Knowing that some people still haven't moved their files from the me.com warehouse, Apple is offering a limited-time second chance.
Heading over to me.com right now, you'll see the screen shown above. On it are links to get an iCloud account set up (finally), download your photos from the Gallery, and grab any files that you totally forgot to download from iDisk.
You might be surprised what you find! I thought I had downloaded everything from MobileMe, but I actually had four Gallery albums full of iPhone photos and videos from the pre-Photo Stream era. I have to laugh -- when I tried downloading those albums in Safari, I kept getting .download files that weren't complete. When I tried the same downloads in Google Chrome, they quickly stalled out. It could very well be that MobileMe is being overloaded by those who waited a few days too long to download their files or move to iCloud.
One other note to those who tried out the iWork.com beta in the past: Apple is giving you until July 31, 2012 to grab those important files that you moved into the iWork.com vaults back in the day when you thought that was the future of iWork documents. If you are a beta user of iWork, you should receive an email similar to the one seen above. Full instructions on how to move your critical documents can be found here.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync