Apple to add food and drink category to App Store
Yesterday, Apple sent out a letter to developers detailing a new Food and Drink category that is coming to the App Store in a few weeks. The category is to include "apps that help users cook and bake, mix drinks, manage recipes, find new restaurants and bars, and learn what their friends like to eat and drink."
Pertinent applications, many of which are currently listed in the Lifestyle category of the App Store, will be moved automatically to the new category by Apple. There are currently thousands of apps for managing recipes and finding restaurants, and the upcoming iOS 6 Maps application will add to the mix by including Yelp check-ins.
The Food & Drink category isn't expected to include diet, coupon clipping, food-related game, or grocery shopping apps. Apple's letter noted that developers have until July 8, 2012 to opt out of having their apps moved to the new category.
[via The Verge]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- IFTTT adds a location channel to its iOS App
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 gets upgraded map, more 'cool' stuff
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype