University of Calgary experimenting with one-handed iPhone gestures
A research team from the GroupLab at the University of Calgary is working on a set of new single-handed gestures for the iPhone called the the Fat Thumb interaction technique. This technique lets you hold your iPhone with one hand and use your thumb to interact with the UI.
The team conducted a trial that challenged users to pan and zoom to a location on a map and the Fat Thumb interaction technique performed as well as other commonly-used multi-fingered techniques. You can read more about the gestures in the group's 10-page PDF research paper and watch a video of the technique in action on the GroupLab website.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options
- Amazon Instant Video app now offers free, ad-supported TV episodes, new HBO shows