Apple's PC market share now up to 12% in US, reports state
Gartner released its Q2 2012 PC sales estimate, and it was good news for Apple, bad news for the PC industry. For the seventh quarter in a row, PC sales were flat, especially in the US. Shipments in the US totaled 15.9 million units for the quarter, which is a 5.7 percent decline from the same quarter last year.
"Consumers are less interested in spending on PCs as there are other technology product and services, such as the latest smartphones and media tablets that they are purchasing," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner.
While HP, Toshiba and Acer showed double digit year over year declines in the US, Apple actually increased its sales 4.3 percent in the quarter, according to Gartner. It's a small increase, but significant when the rest of the industry is slipping. Apple is the number three PC vendor in the US with 12 percent market share and trails only HP and Dell.
IDC also released its quarterly figures and, just like Gartner, placed Apple in the number three spot in the US. Sales estimates from IDC were lower with Apple only grabbing a 11.4 percent market share and recording a 1.1 percent yearly decline. Both Gartner's and IDC's figures are based on PC sales only and do not include tablets.
Gartner released its Q2 2012 PC sales estimate, and it was good news for Apple, bad news for the PC industry. For the seventh quarter...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free