Telenav's free Scout nav app gets offline navigation, speech recognition
In January of 2012, Telenav announced Scout, a free "daily personal navigator" app for iPhone. Today the company has released a new version of the app with improved features including Always There Navigation, a downloadable offline navigation feature that provide GPS navigation whether or not you're in a wireless coverage zone.
Always There Navigation is downloaded by U.S. region -- Western, Central or Eastern. You can download different regions if you're traveling outside of your home area, or download all three regions to your iPhone. This service is available for US$9.99 per year or $2.99 per month, and includes some other premium features.
One of the other new features is the addition of speech recognition. By tapping one button, voice commands are activated for a hands-free search. Commands like "Find McDonald's" or "Drive Home" are interpreted, and Scout either finds nearby results or creates the best route summaries to your home or office, based on current traffic conditions and your location.
Here's a video demonstrating the new features of Scout. You can try out all of the features of the new Scout free for 30 days.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter