New and updated on the App Store: Skype, Kartrider Pit, King's Bounty: Legions, Spell Sword and more
This Tuesday has for some reason brought a bevy of new apps and updates to the App Store, so if you're looking for something to download (or wondering what that little red circled number on your App Store icon means), here's what's new right now.
- Both Skype for iPhone and Skype for iPad have a big new update the improves performance, and adds a few features into the mix as well. You can now share photos directly with the app, for example, so that should save on MMS charges.
- King's Bounty: Legions is a popular turn-based strategy game on Facebook that has arrived on the iPad. It looks good, though I haven't tried it out just yet.
- Nexon, fresh of its success on iOS with KartRider, has introduced a spinoff called Kartrider Pit, that takes the cartoony racing gameplay of the first title and adds a time management layer to it. A big success here would mean lots more Nexon on the App Store, I think -- the game is free to play right now.
- Spell Sword is a really excellent arcade platformer title that's gotten a big update, most notably changing the game into a free-to-play app. There's lots of new content as well, including new enemies to fight, new Spell Cards to collect, new missions to play, and lots of new items to equip for various stats and upgrades.
- And finally, Organ Trail, the zombie-themed homage to the old Oregon Trail simulation, has received a big update as well, with lots of bugfixes and lots and lots of gameplay balance changes. It's practically a whole new game, and you can grab it for $2.99 right now.
We'll expect more releases later on this week on Thursday, but for some reason Apple slipped these in right away. If you've got these installed or want to try the new ones out, they're all available in an App Store app near you.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter