Apple switches on Genius recommendations in iOS 6
In a sign that iOS 6 is inching ever closer to general release, Apple flipped the switch on Genius recommendations in the App Store on Friday. The feature had been, according to developers familiar with the new OS, responding with a comment that it was unavailable. Now asking for Genius recommendations displays a "swipe to flip" list of apps you might be interested in, along with the familiar "Not Interested" button at the bottom of the screen.
Sources say that not all of the Genius features are currently working properly; the Categories button in the upper left corner of the display apparently shows only a single category -- All -- right now instead of a list of subcategories.
Each Genius "card" shows a recommended app with rating and price, a screenshot, a note telling you what app the recommendation was based on and the Not Interested button that's used to refine your future recommendations.
The availability date for iOS 6 is expected to be announced on September 12, 2012 at an Apple event.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options