Deutsche Telekom begins distributing nano-SIM cards to partners in advance of rumored iPhone launch
After a protracted battle between Apple, Nokia, RIM and Motorola Mobility earlier this year about the design of a new nano-SIM (subscriber identity module), Apple was the victor and is widely expected to use the new design in the next-generation iPhone. German website iFun.de is reporting that carrier Deutsche Telekom has begun distribution of nano-SIMs to partners in anticipation of the launch of a new iPhone.
A translation of the letter accompanying the new cards notes that they are "a new generation of SIM cards for the latest generation of smartphones that come in the near future on the market."
While that machine translation is fairly vague, many industry pundits expect the next-generation iPhone to use the new nano-SIM -- and the first appearance of these new SIMs in Germany is a little over a week in advance of the September 12 Apple event where the new phone may be announced.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options