Apple web page outage inadvertently disabled iOS 6 device WiFi networking
If you have a new iOS 6 install, you may have experienced a temporary WiFi outage this evening. The problem seems to have stemmed from an unavailable Apple webpage. According to Steve Streza, iOS 6 pings a test URL
that's different from previous installs, which simply used apple.com.
When the web page at that URL went down, so did WiFi access. This URL is meant to allow captive portal network detection at venues like hotels. The problem seems to have been resolved on Apple's end, and WiFi access is, as far as we know, restored for iOS 6 users. If the problem persists, you may have to toggle Wi-Fi off/on on your iOS device.
Update: TUAW Reader dmatos points out that this page seems to have been used in previous versions of iOS as well.
If you have a new iOS 6 install, you may have experienced a temporary WiFi outage this evening. The problem seems to have stemmed from...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time