How-to posted for jailbreaking iOS 6 on A4-powered iPhones, iPods
Once the gold master version of iOS 6 landed in the hands of developers, the iPhone Dev Team was quick to release an iOS 6-compatible version of its Redsn0w jailbreak tool. Now that iOS 6 is available to the public, select iPhone and iPod touch owners can download the tool and jailbreak their device.
This latest version of Redsn0w includes support for iOS 6 devices with an A4 processor, which limits the jailbreak to the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS and the fourth generation iPod touch. You should also note that this is a tethered jailbreak, so you will have to connect your iOS device to your Mac every time you reboot your phone. If you don't mind the tethered part of the jailbreak, Redmond Pie has an excellent set of directions that'll step you through the process.
iPhone 5, iPhone 4S or iPad 2/3 owners running iOS 6 will have to wait for the Dev Team to successfully jailbreak those devices and package the hack into a public-friendly format. There's no ETA on when the Dev Team will release the jailbreak for these newer devices, so owners will have to practice patience while the Dev Team works out all the details.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV