DirecTV iPhone app now streams selected content
DirecTV has updated its iPhone app to support streaming, but many channels remain unavailable, including news channels like Fox News, CNN and MSNBC. Fortunately, entertainment shows and movies from HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Encore are included. The programs aren't live but available via stream-on-demand.
If you're on your home WiFi network, the picture gets a bit brighter. You can livestream anything your DirecTV receiver can get. Of course if you're already home, the streaming feature seems kind of silly. The app offers a complete program guide and the ability to initiate a recording on your DVR if you are away from home. The new functionality matches up to the DirecTV iPad app, that was recently updated to support selected channel on demand streams.
The iPhone app works pretty well, but as it has done since it was first released, it has a tendency to crash if you are scanning a lot of listings in the guide. Unlike the iPad app, it can't function as a remote control for your receiver.
The iPhone app is free and, of course, requires a DirecTV subscription. The app requires iOS 4.3 or greater.
DirecTV has updated its iPhone app to support streaming, but many channels remain unavailable, including news channels like Fox News,...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved
- Twitter updates its OS X client