DirecTV iPhone app now streams selected content
DirecTV has updated its iPhone app to support streaming, but many channels remain unavailable, including news channels like Fox News, CNN and MSNBC. Fortunately, entertainment shows and movies from HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Encore are included. The programs aren't live but available via stream-on-demand.
If you're on your home WiFi network, the picture gets a bit brighter. You can livestream anything your DirecTV receiver can get. Of course if you're already home, the streaming feature seems kind of silly. The app offers a complete program guide and the ability to initiate a recording on your DVR if you are away from home. The new functionality matches up to the DirecTV iPad app, that was recently updated to support selected channel on demand streams.
The iPhone app works pretty well, but as it has done since it was first released, it has a tendency to crash if you are scanning a lot of listings in the guide. Unlike the iPad app, it can't function as a remote control for your receiver.
The iPhone app is free and, of course, requires a DirecTV subscription. The app requires iOS 4.3 or greater.
DirecTV has updated its iPhone app to support streaming, but many channels remain unavailable, including news channels like Fox News,...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free