Daily iPhone App: Sword of Fargoal is great, goes free
Sword of Fargoal is an older title from the App Store -- it was introduced quite a while back as a graphical roguelike RPG, in that you run around a randomly generated dungeon while collecting gold and beating down anything in your way. The game actually started back in the early '80s, but came to the iPhone early on, and has since been updated a lot in terms of graphics, gameplay elements and just general stability. At this point, it's a really well-polished, well-traveled action RPG game. And right now, it's absolutely free, so you should grab it for your iPhone for sure.
The reason it's free is because the developers of the game are working on a sequel (that we got to see at Macworld at the beginning of last year) that's currently trying to pick up $50,000 in funding on Kickstarter. Sword of Fargoal 2 is a much bigger and better sequel, and the devs are looking to raise some money to help them make it. Unfortunately, it's going to be a tough road, as they've only raised about $14,000 with a few weeks to go, but the plan here is to make Sword of Fargoal free, and hope that raises awareness (and interest) in funding Sword of Fargoal 2.
I don't know if they'll make the goal itself ($50,000 is a lot to ask for an iOS game, in my humble opinion), but I can tell you that the original title is excellent, and a great bargain at the low price of free. Definitely pick it up while you can, and do fund the sequel if you think it's worth supporting.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update