Verizon won't relock the iPhone 5's GSM
Traveling overseas can be a big problem for US iPhone owners, as most of the iPhones sold in the US are locked to Sprint, AT&T or Verizon. And while those carriers do have data roaming plans, the charges can quickly add up. That's why everyone got so excited when it was revealed that the Verizon iPhone 5's GSM was not locked to the carrier. But soon the question became, what if Verizon decides to relock your iPhone 5 at some point in the future?
According to the AP, Verizon spokesperson Brenda Roney says the company doesn't plan to re-lock iPhone 5s. That's great news for US travelers, and might be the selling point if you're still deciding what carrier to go with. Keep in mind, if you're getting your unlocked Verizon iPhone, you'll still need to sign up for a two-year contract with them.
If you want a truly contract-free unlocked iPhone 5 you must wait a few more months probably. Apple has said they will sell all three sizes of the iPhone 5 unlocked in the US, but they haven't set a release date yet. Last year, the unlocked iPhone 4S became available in late November.
Traveling overseas can be a big problem for US iPhone owners, as most of the iPhones sold in the US are locked to Sprint, AT&T or...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free