Verizon won't relock the iPhone 5's GSM
Traveling overseas can be a big problem for US iPhone owners, as most of the iPhones sold in the US are locked to Sprint, AT&T or Verizon. And while those carriers do have data roaming plans, the charges can quickly add up. That's why everyone got so excited when it was revealed that the Verizon iPhone 5's GSM was not locked to the carrier. But soon the question became, what if Verizon decides to relock your iPhone 5 at some point in the future?
According to the AP, Verizon spokesperson Brenda Roney says the company doesn't plan to re-lock iPhone 5s. That's great news for US travelers, and might be the selling point if you're still deciding what carrier to go with. Keep in mind, if you're getting your unlocked Verizon iPhone, you'll still need to sign up for a two-year contract with them.
If you want a truly contract-free unlocked iPhone 5 you must wait a few more months probably. Apple has said they will sell all three sizes of the iPhone 5 unlocked in the US, but they haven't set a release date yet. Last year, the unlocked iPhone 4S became available in late November.
Traveling overseas can be a big problem for US iPhone owners, as most of the iPhones sold in the US are locked to Sprint, AT&T or...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved