Average iOS app is increasing in size
iOS apps, especially games, are growing in size, says a study by ABI Research. According to the study, the average global app size is now 23 MB, up 16 percent from March. Games have shown the biggest weight gain, growing a whopping 42 percent in the last six months. The average game now weighs in at a robust 60 MB.
This increase in size has a profound effect on customers who have iOS devices with 8 GB or 16 GB of internal storage. Customers with these low-capacity devices may have to carefully manage their app installs and go through the cumbersome process of deleting older apps in order to install new ones. It may also affect buying trends with users opting to go with the more expensive 32 GB or 64 GB models, instead of the entry-level 16 GB.
I've experienced this "app shuffling" dilemma on my 16 GB iPhone 4S and will no longer buy that capacity. My iPad 3 is a beefy 64 GB, and I have plenty of room to spare. If you're in the market for an iOS device, would you still buy a 16 GB model or is 32 GB the new minimum size?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter