Klout adds Passbook support and perks
The social app Klout has updated its iPhone app, with a few surprising features. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Klout. It's gotten a little bit of a reputation for being spammy, and I think the way it rates influence is more or less meaningless. However, there's one feature of the new app that I think is very interesting, and that's Passbook integration. Yes, the Klout app will now show up in Passbook, and contains a "Klout card" that shows off the user's name, photo and Klout score. Klout says that showing this card to various people or businesses could have benefits down the road.
Klout isn't an app that I would have expected to use Apple's Passbook feature. In the same way that we've seen apps make interesting uses of features such as in-app purchases and push notifications, it looks like some apps will use Passbook in ways that maybe weren't necessarily intended by Apple. We'll have to keep an eye out for more interesting Passbook-fueled ideas.
Klout has also added support for the iPhone 5 and "perks," which are a feature of Klout's web service but are only just now showing up in the app. If you do want to make use of Klout and its features on your iPhone, the app is a free download.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free