CodeWeavers' Flock the Vote 10/31 giveaway is live, download CrossOver Windows tools for free
With a tongue-in-cheek press release, Windows compatibility vendor CodeWeavers announced earlier this week that it would be giving away free licenses and 12-month support for its flagship CrossOver product today, October 31.
CrossOver provides compatibility for Win32 API-based applications like Internet Explorer without requiring a Windows license or installation, which is necessary for virtualization tools like Parallels or VMware Fusion. It's built atop the open-source WINE project. It doesn't support every Windows app fully, but if the one app you need works, it's a solid, low-impact solution.
Originally framed as a voter registration drive, the promotion is now free of caveats or conditions. You can check out the signup page at CodeWeavers' Flock the Vote page.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs