CodeWeavers' Flock the Vote 10/31 giveaway is live, download CrossOver Windows tools for free
With a tongue-in-cheek press release, Windows compatibility vendor CodeWeavers announced earlier this week that it would be giving away free licenses and 12-month support for its flagship CrossOver product today, October 31.
CrossOver provides compatibility for Win32 API-based applications like Internet Explorer without requiring a Windows license or installation, which is necessary for virtualization tools like Parallels or VMware Fusion. It's built atop the open-source WINE project. It doesn't support every Windows app fully, but if the one app you need works, it's a solid, low-impact solution.
Originally framed as a voter registration drive, the promotion is now free of caveats or conditions. You can check out the signup page at CodeWeavers' Flock the Vote page.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free