Factory unlocked iPhone 5 prices leak on Apple's US website
Those in the US who have been waiting to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 may soon find that wait over. As noted by AppleInisder, over the weekend a search for "iPhone 5 factory unlocked" on the US Apple online store reveals prices for the unlocked devices.
As could be expected, prices for the unlocked iPhone 5 mirror the prices for last year's unlocked iPhone 4S when it went on sale in November. Those prices are $649 for the 16 GB model, $749 for the 32 GB model, and $849 for the 64 GB model.
Unlike in other countries, factory unlocked iPhones do not usually go on sale in the US until several months after the ship date of carrier-locked iPhones. Last year the iPhone 4S launched in early October and pre-orders of unlocked iPhone 4S's began in early November, with first unlocked units shipping by the third week of November – or about six weeks after the first locked versions shipped.
We have now just passed the six-week mark since the iPhone 5 began shipping locked. However, due to the increased popularity of the device, it's feasible that it will take Apple longer to ship unlocked versions in the US. However, for those US users that want an unlocked iPhone 5, Apple's premature search results seem to confirm that the phones are coming.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service