Did Apple pay more than $20 million for Swiss clock design?
Apple's iPad has a gorgeous Swiss-inspired clock that may have cost the company millions. According to a report in the Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger, Apple paid the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) 20 million Swiss francs (US$21 million) for the rights to use the iconic clock face in iOS 6.
The brouhaha over the clock emerged in September when the SBB criticized Apple for using the railway clock, which was designed by Hans Hilfiker for the SBB and has become a symbol of Swiss innovation and reliability. The SBB met with Apple, which signed a licensing deal to use the clock face. Details of the agreement were not disclosed, and the SBB has refused to comment on this latest report.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration