Nokia Here Maps app soars in App Store popularity (updated)
Nokia's Here Maps app (free) just made it to the App Store, but it is already making waves for iOS users looking for an alternative to Apple's Maps.
For iPhone 5 users, Here Maps is an especially welcome addition to the App Store, as the app is optimized for Apple's latest iPhone. It's based on the same NAVTEQ mapping data that is used in many in-car navigation systems, but also provides community maps that are created and updated by other users. Map areas can be saved onto the phone, then used without data coverage.
Other features include the ability to save collections, such as "best restaurants" or "places to see". Here Maps isn't limited to car transportation, as it will also provide directions for pedestrians and those using to public transit.
The app started the trip up the charts this morning when it hit No. 101 on the free download chart for iPhone apps at 8:35 AM ET. Within 15 minutes, HERE Maps had jumped to No. 32 on the charts, bypassing Spotify. While writing this post at 9:55 AM ET, the app was in the No. 12 spot.
TUAW will have a full review of Here Maps in the next few days. In the meantime, it appears to be a success with those who are still waiting for Google to get around to producing an iPhone-friendly native navigation app.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter