T-Mobile expands its HSPA+ offering to 10 new areas
It might not be ready to unveil its 4G LTE capability until next year, but T-Mobile is giving customers in 10 new markets some extra speed with its 1900MHz HSPA+ offering. The newly upgraded service is now live in the following metro areas:
- Phoenix (including Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, Paradise Valley, Surprise and Ahwatukee)
- Mesa (including Chandler and Gilbert)
- Tucson (including South Tucson, Marana and Vail)
- Silicon Valley (including Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Santa Clara and San Jose)
- San Francisco
- Miami (including Coral Gables and Miami Beach)
- Fort Lauderdale (including Hollywood)
"Internal tests of unlocked iPhone 4S devices running over 4G (HSPA+) on our 1900 network recorded on average 70% faster download speeds than iPhone 4S devices on AT&T's network," the company notes on its official release.
Of course, T-Mobile doesn't actually offer an iPhone of any kind, so if you're interested in taking advantage of the revamped network in these areas, you'll need to bring your own unlocked device along for the ride.
4G LTE is coming to T-Mobile next year, but HSPA+ continues to spread.