Can't wait for a new iMac? Buy a cheap Chinese knockoff instead
It's getting very close to the end of November, and Apple's iMac web page still shows the 21.5-inch all-in-one Mac as "coming in November," with the 27-inch slender desktop "coming in December." If you're worried that there may be no new iMac under the Christmas tree this year, then you might want to consider buying a LAVI S21i from the well-known manufacturer Shenzhen Rahway.
What? You've never heard of Shenzhen Rahway? Well, take a look at what they're offering before you scoff. It looks just like one of the new iMacs -- without the Apple logo, of course -- and features a 21.5-inch 1,920 x 1,080 display, 4 GB of RAM, and either a 3.3 GHz Intel Core i3 dual-core or 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 quad-core CPU. For storage, the LAVI S21i (kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?) can be equipped with either a 128 GB SSD or a 500 GB hard drive. And the OS? Windows 8, of course.
It's only 0.4 cm thicker at the edges, comes with an ugly generic power brick, and crams most of the ports (including a state-of-the-art VGA port) in the bottom of the display, but hey -- it's just like an iMac!
This baby will only set you back US$540-$621 depending on which model you purchase, which means that you'll have enough money left over from not buying that $1299 non-bogus iMac to get yourself an iPad.
[via M.I.C Gadget]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features