iPad-native YouTube app arrives from Google
The departure of the Apple-bundled YouTube app in iOS 6 has riled up many unsuspecting upgraders, like my wife. "What do you mean, 'there's no more iPad YouTube app'?" she said, eyeing her recently-updated iPad.
The alternatives (using the iPhone-sized app, or sticking with the mobile web version) were unwelcome. For one thing, the video quality of the iPhone-sized videos did not hold up well when expanded to the full iPad screen size.
Those days of postage-stamp video are gone, however, as the iPad YouTube app was introduced today, supporting full-screen video that looks great. The new app, free in the App Store, is sporting the same refined look as the new Gmail 2.0 app. You can get more details about the app features on the YouTube blog.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync