iPad-native YouTube app arrives from Google
The departure of the Apple-bundled YouTube app in iOS 6 has riled up many unsuspecting upgraders, like my wife. "What do you mean, 'there's no more iPad YouTube app'?" she said, eyeing her recently-updated iPad.
The alternatives (using the iPhone-sized app, or sticking with the mobile web version) were unwelcome. For one thing, the video quality of the iPhone-sized videos did not hold up well when expanded to the full iPad screen size.
Those days of postage-stamp video are gone, however, as the iPad YouTube app was introduced today, supporting full-screen video that looks great. The new app, free in the App Store, is sporting the same refined look as the new Gmail 2.0 app. You can get more details about the app features on the YouTube blog.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter