AT&T iPhones in 717 area code switch to mysterious 'Dan' network
iPhone owners in central Pennsylvania are scratching their heads today, as the AT&T network ID in the corner of their screens has been overtaken by the name "Dan." As PennLive reports, several customers have jumped on Apple's support forums to find out just what is behind the strange new label, but the problem is actually on AT&T's end.
In a statement, AT&T noted that it was working on restoring the AT&T designation to those affected, and assured users that the momentary change has no impact on the wireless service itself. The company did not reveal the cause for the strange error, but said that "Dan" was an older designation used for testing the network.
The issue only appears to be affecting AT&T customers with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4, and only in the 717 area code. Some forum posters have noted that the problem can be fixed by simply resetting the network settings within the phone itself, though AT&T appears confident that it will be able to correct the issue without requiring any steps be taken by customers.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)