Amazon Instant Video app updated to support to iPhone and iPod touch
iPhone and iPod touch users now have yet another streaming video option. Amazon has updated its free Amazon Instant Video app to a universal version that supports Apple's smaller mobile devices, after originally releasing an iPad-only version in August.
The app retains all of its previous functionality on iPhone and iPod touch, including the ability to watch Amazon Prime videos in addition to those purchased or rented through Amazon's site. It's still not possible to purchase or rent content through the app itself, however.
The app still lacks AirPlay support for video and does not offer video out over 30-pin or Lightning connectors, both features users have been clamoring for. Playback is not available over 3G/4G or LTE connections (WiFi-only), but users can download videos for later viewing.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options