Time Warner TWC TV app now lets users watch shows On Demand, live
Time Warner has released an update to its popular TWC TV app today that allows Time Warner Cable subscribers to watch On Demand content from over 4,000 television and movie titles across 91 providers.
Like most pay TV viewing apps, the TWC app only permits viewing programming while your device is connected to your home wireless network; the exception is Dish Network's app, which gets around this by leveraging the company's Sling platform to stream from your actual satellite box outbound to your device, rather than pushing programs from the company's servers.
The company notes that the initial offering will see some programs in high definition and some only in standard definition, explaining that "some networks don't offer their on demand product in HD, while some offer a mix of SD and HD. We don't get absolutely everything in HD today, but we will continue to add to the catalog on an ongoing basis."
The updated app also includes improved support for the iPhone 5, adds a "recently viewed channels" feature to the live TV program guide, and offers bug fixes and performance improvements.
TWC TV is a free download but its use does require that you are a Time Warner Cable video subscriber with a Standard (Expanded Basic) package or higher.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter