Time Warner TWC TV app now lets users watch shows On Demand, live
Time Warner has released an update to its popular TWC TV app today that allows Time Warner Cable subscribers to watch On Demand content from over 4,000 television and movie titles across 91 providers.
Like most pay TV viewing apps, the TWC app only permits viewing programming while your device is connected to your home wireless network; the exception is Dish Network's app, which gets around this by leveraging the company's Sling platform to stream from your actual satellite box outbound to your device, rather than pushing programs from the company's servers.
The company notes that the initial offering will see some programs in high definition and some only in standard definition, explaining that "some networks don't offer their on demand product in HD, while some offer a mix of SD and HD. We don't get absolutely everything in HD today, but we will continue to add to the catalog on an ongoing basis."
The updated app also includes improved support for the iPhone 5, adds a "recently viewed channels" feature to the live TV program guide, and offers bug fixes and performance improvements.
TWC TV is a free download but its use does require that you are a Time Warner Cable video subscriber with a Standard (Expanded Basic) package or higher.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved
- Twitter updates its OS X client