Around Me offers holiday update with many new features for travelers
One of my favorite local points of interest apps, Around Me (free), received a rather substantial update that will bring a smile to holiday travelers and anyone looking for close-by gas stations, eateries, shopping venues and much more.
The ad-supported universal app has added hotel booking in the iPad version, while both versions include improved hotel info including the availability of free WiFi and details on parking and facilities. Other new features include gas prices (USA only) and increased info on movies and movie times, the latter information coming from Fandango.
The app is not a replacement for a full blown navigation system, but it will allow you to send the destination to whatever nav app you have on your device, including Apple Maps. While checking the app I found no support yet for the new Google Maps, but would expect it at any time.
Around Me now supports the iPhone 5 screen and iOS 6. It's one of my favorite apps, especially when I am on the road and looking for everything from a pharmacy to a cinema or an ATM.
I don't find the ads annoying, but there is an in-app upgrade to make the app ad-free for US $2.99. That strikes me as a little high; $0.99 would seem more reasonable and bring in more upgraders. I recommend Around Me highly, and I think you'll appreciate its virtues too.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options
- Amazon Instant Video app now offers free, ad-supported TV episodes, new HBO shows