Around Me offers holiday update with many new features for travelers
One of my favorite local points of interest apps, Around Me (free), received a rather substantial update that will bring a smile to holiday travelers and anyone looking for close-by gas stations, eateries, shopping venues and much more.
The ad-supported universal app has added hotel booking in the iPad version, while both versions include improved hotel info including the availability of free WiFi and details on parking and facilities. Other new features include gas prices (USA only) and increased info on movies and movie times, the latter information coming from Fandango.
The app is not a replacement for a full blown navigation system, but it will allow you to send the destination to whatever nav app you have on your device, including Apple Maps. While checking the app I found no support yet for the new Google Maps, but would expect it at any time.
Around Me now supports the iPhone 5 screen and iOS 6. It's one of my favorite apps, especially when I am on the road and looking for everything from a pharmacy to a cinema or an ATM.
I don't find the ads annoying, but there is an in-app upgrade to make the app ad-free for US $2.99. That strikes me as a little high; $0.99 would seem more reasonable and bring in more upgraders. I recommend Around Me highly, and I think you'll appreciate its virtues too.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update