Google Maps for iOS gets more than 10 million downloads right away
Talk about some pent-up demand: the refreshed and resurrected Google Maps app had more than 10 million downloads in less than 48 hours. That's the word from Jeff Huber at Google, who put out the numbers via Google+.
Most reviews are positive, and a lot of iOS users seem elated to get away from Apple Maps. We've noted some plusses and minuses in our reviews, but competition is good for the marketplace, and the folks in Cupertino can't be pleased at what looks like a massive defection from the Apple Maps app.
Apple says it is continuing to work hard at some of the data errors and misplaced landmarks in Apple Maps, but Google has a big head start on Apple's efforts.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter