eBay removing ads from its mobile apps in 2013
While you're busy making your list of New Year's resolutions, eBay has gone ahead and made one of its own. The online auction site has decided to stop displaying advertisements within its mobile apps at some point in 2013, citing its own unhappiness with the experience users are having with them.
In an interview with AllThingsD, eBay's head of global marketplaces, Devin Wenig, says that the company has decided mobile ads "just aren't worth it" and that removing them won't be a problem because eBay doesn't need the money they generate. That's due in part to the fact that, unlike other online businesses, eBay makes money off of every transaction it facilitates, not just advertising. Advertising that would, of course, only serve to get in the way while we're browsing for rare Apple products and other unique items.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options