Redbox Instant by Verizon gets an iOS app
Movie rental vendor Redbox recently announced that it would be taking on Netflix with its own streaming service, powered in part by Verizon. The service is still in closed beta, but Redbox has wasted no time getting up and running on iOS, as there's now an official "Redbox Instant by Verizon" app on the App Store.
You can download it for free, although it won't do you much good if you don't have an invitation to the service. But there are some screenshots on iTunes of what it looks like (basically like Netflix, not surprisingly). The fact that the app is out and running already shows just how quickly Redbox is planning to get this off the ground.
Personally, I think it's great. I quit Netflix a few months ago because I wasn't happy with the selections there, and competition is always good. Hopefully if Redbox and Verizon pick up a sizable audience, we'll see lots more innovation in the video-streaming market.
[via App Advice]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs