Flurry: 17 million iOS, Android devices activated on Christmas Day
If you received a new smartphone or tablet for Christmas, you're not alone; VentureBeat reports that over 17 million new iOS and Android devices were activated on Christmas day, according to analytics firm Flurry. That's a bump of over 330 percent over the average of the 20 days preceding the biggest gift-giving day of the year.
Perhaps even more interesting is the fact that while tablets accounted for just 20 percent of the activations between December 1-20, Christmas Day saw tablets take over, with 51 percent of new device activations coming from slates. As you might expect, the skyrocketing device statistics also helped to bump app download rates, with roughly 20 million downloads tallied each hour for the majority of Christmas Day.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app