Flurry: 17 million iOS, Android devices activated on Christmas Day
If you received a new smartphone or tablet for Christmas, you're not alone; VentureBeat reports that over 17 million new iOS and Android devices were activated on Christmas day, according to analytics firm Flurry. That's a bump of over 330 percent over the average of the 20 days preceding the biggest gift-giving day of the year.
Perhaps even more interesting is the fact that while tablets accounted for just 20 percent of the activations between December 1-20, Christmas Day saw tablets take over, with 51 percent of new device activations coming from slates. As you might expect, the skyrocketing device statistics also helped to bump app download rates, with roughly 20 million downloads tallied each hour for the majority of Christmas Day.
Lots of smartphones and tablets were found under Christmas trees this year.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free