Zynga shuts down 11 apps, including PetVille and Mafia Wars 2
Zynga has announced that it's closing 11 different games and apps, presumably just because they've failed to live up to the publisher's expectations. Perhaps the most popular app of the bunch is Petville, which at one point announced that it had over a million users. But there are a few other big titles in the 11 as well: Mafia Wars 2, FishVille, Treasure Isle and Vampire Wars are all getting shut down as well.
The company's CEO says this is all part of a standard restructuring, and it makes sense that Zynga, which has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years, would want to emphasize its strengths and minimize its weaker titles. But this is also a sign that the Zynga brand isn't invincible, and that clearly, the company needs hits to keep itself moving. 2013 may be a rocky year for Zynga, if it can't replicate the success it's seen in the past with FarmVille and the other games it's acquired, like Draw Something and Words with Friends.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs