Microsoft acquires home automation startup eyed by Apple
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft has beaten Apple to the punch in acquiring id8 Group R2 Studios, a startup specializing in home automation technology. Started by Sling Media founder Blake Krikorian in 2011, the company was being eyed for acquisition by Apple, Microsoft and Google according to reports that surfaced last month. Terms of the deal haven't been disclosed.
The news comes on the heels of reports this week indicating that Apple is keen to explore the realm of home automation technology. Last year, it began selling the Nest smart thermostat and Philips Hue app-controlled lightbulbs through its online and retail stores.
There's little info on exactly what Microsoft intends to have R2 Studios work on, but indications are that the company will be involved with the next Xbox game console in some capacity. Before the acquisition, R2 had released one product, an Android app for communicating with Crestron home automation systems.
[Via Apple Insider]
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft has beaten Apple to the punch in acquiring id8 Group R2 Studios, a startup...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Evernote introduces reminders to Mac, iOS apps
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements