Apple's App Store tops 40 billion downloads
Apple announced today that the App Store has topped 40 billion unique app downloads. The bulk of these downloads, 20 billion, took place in 2012 with the holiday month of December racking up 2 billion downloads alone.
"It has been an incredible year for the iOS developer community. Developers have made over seven billion dollars on the App Store, and we continue to invest in providing them with the best ecosystem so they can create the most innovative apps in the world," writes Eddy Cue, senior vice president of Internet Software and Services.
The App Store is available in 155 countries. It now has 775,000 iOS apps, 300,000 iPad apps and 500 million active accounts.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options