BBC launches BBC Sport app
Following on the heels of their incredible Olympics 2012 app (no longer available), the BBC yesterday released their first dedicated BBC sports app. BBC Sport came about after the Corporation's success with its dedicated Olympics app and the fact that it noticed that up to 40 percent of its BBC Sport website traffic came from mobile devices.
The new app appears to be a UK sport lover's dream. According to a blog post by Head of Interactive, BBC Sport, Ben Gallop, the app features:
- Top stories and breaking news from a range of sports, including live text commentaries from all the big events.
- In-depth football coverage, including: a new live scores section; a page for every match in England and Scotland; tables, fixtures and results searchable by any day of the season; plus the latest football transfer gossip.
- Live audio streams of BBC Sport coverage on our two radio stations: 5 live and 5 live Sports Extra.
- Customisable navigation, with the ability to add your favourite sport to the quick-links (soon you'll be able to do the same for football teams).
- The ability to share pages in the app with your friends, through email, Facebook and Twitter, which we know is increasingly important for people in a connected world.
- And, coming soon, live and on-demand video -- in time for another busy year of coverage for BBC Sport on TV.
The BBC has been on a roll lately with its mobile apps. In the past several months it has added many new features to its iPlayer app and debuted a totally new iPlayer Radio app and a companion app to one of its most popular TV shows.
BBC Sport is a free download from the UK App Store.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)